Lessons for me from my colleague
31 - 03 - 2023
What I admire
One of my teammate is leaving the company. He is a good teammate and a roommate of mine at 2 company trips. The short amount of time working with him at this project teach me a few lessions when tackling a programming problem.
- When designing an API, I must think about requirement changes for example if I design an API to calculate point when the user purchase a product, I must think about the purchase history for that user and not just accumulate the point for only one row.
- When implementing an API, I must consider the source of data change and ask myself when that changes happen what should I do?
- I really appreciate his understanding of Notion api and what pratices we should follow.
- I admire his quick wit when he quickly came up with solution using NEXTjs middleware instead of a BE. Or his decision to use big query each time we fetch data from Notion. Technology just come natural to him than to me.
- His speed has another side which is the carelessness and anti-pattern at times. But I think this is not the opposite side of his speed and when he is more matual, he will be more careful.
- This might not be his weakness in particular but since my colleague is really dependable, it can make other teammates becomes passive in thinking (which is bad). Unfortunately that person is me.